Donate to our project!

You can support our work on the Stewart Park Carousel by donating at the Friends of Stewart Park website

Thursday, December 11, 2014

The history of Heavenly Blue

I wanted to tell you the story of the second horse from November.  When we cleaned this one up, I felt a real affinity for her, something about her arched neck was very strong and appealing.  She's from the outer circle, and I always want to do an extra-fine job on those horses.

A while ago I posted a photo taken by local photographer Polly Joan, of one of the carousel horses as they looked a long time ago, before Annie painted them in the '80s.  Here's another look at that image:
This is one of the same horse models, and I noticed the morning glories on the breastplate.  As the rest of Stewart Park is also going through a big renovation project, with an emphasis on the park's history, this seemed like a good opportunity to play with honoring the history of the carousel as well. 

So let me introduce you to Heavenly Blue.
She's not quite done yet, so I will post more photos later after that happens.

I also took this really cool photo when I started painting, showing the old paint (on the left) and the new (on the right):
-Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment