Donate to our project!

You can support our work on the Stewart Park Carousel by donating at the Friends of Stewart Park website

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Clear vision, speed, and a safe return

I have so many ideas for horses.  I am really trying to make each horse have a distinct personality and theme, since I know that the kids riding the carousel will have their favorites and use their imagination to tell a story as they ride.  Who doesn't love dreaming about thundering across the plains, bow and arrow at the ready, on your smart and trusted steed?  I really wanted to create a Native American painted war horse, so I started with making her a realistic Appaloosa, dark brown with those distinctive white and brown spots on the rump.  Then a leather saddle and patterned blankets in Southwest colors, added some eagle feathers, and then I did some research on symbolism and traditions in horse painting. 

Here's the code:
-the circle around the eye is for sharp and clear vision
-the lightning on the legs is for speed (and also an arrow, which means it will go poorly for your rivals)
-the left handprint on the hip is a mark reserved for horses that have brought their rider safely back from a dangerous mission...this is also my handprint, and happens to be the way I sign large paintings!

Once she's back on the carousel in natural light, I'd love to get a better photo.  As Julia said, working at Sarah's Patisserie these last few weeks has been a pleasure.  Thanks Tammy!

I wanted to include a photo of this horse before painting.  As part of the outside circle, you can see how much the colors have faded and worn.  She was originally cream-colored, but the years had turned her slightly green.  I really love bringing them back to colorful life and can't wait to see the whole carousel bright and shining.
-Christi

No comments:

Post a Comment